Thursday, July 12, 2007

Selig Mary; Slept Under Our Sheets




Upon driving back from Marfa with Jess, we saw the formation of an unwonted dust devil against the backdrop of mountains and desert. For me, what makes phenomena like this so wonderful are their rarity. In the economy of experience, seeing a tower of wind and sand struggling to maintain its form in the nation's mountainous purlieu (especially from the vantage point we had that day) is worth so much.

Today is the eve of our first real tour. Tomorrow, Moth!Fight! will leave port; the jaunt christening us as a "real band". As we make our final preparations, I'm consumed by a spirit of wonder remarkably similar to that which I felt driving home from Marfa. The band (and everyone in it), the tour, the reality that we're beginning to release music and that people seem interested in all of it... it just appeared.

I've to admonish myself not to expect it but I can't shake the hope that, as we drive through the plains on our way to Chicago, I hope to see a real tornado (my first!)
The way things have been developing, it seems like it just may happen.